Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Go forth and germinate!

Well. I nearly used 'Rise up and prick out!', so count yourself lucky.

Have you ever considered gardening as a cool form of pro-social retro-urban-vandalism that can recklessly improve the world we live in, without the permission of our governing authoritarian forces?!

No? If not then you should try it. By finding out more about Guerrilla Gardening.

Being in a more natural environment even for a short time positively changes out mental state. I'm a massive believer in the power of nature, and gardening as a beneficial activity for everyone. Through work I heard about this study, where patients recovering from surgery were monitored for the speed of their recovery - and all those with a natural view from their hospital window recovered significantly faster. Similarly, every house in a 'troubled' urban estate in England was kitted out with a window box. Crime fell. Lots. Largely because people just started talking to each other a bit more, and had an excuse to be outside their own flat. Amazing, but simple, really.

Not that I can be arsed to look the actual research up on the internet to prove it to you, so I'll forgive you if you think I'm chatting rubbish.

Don't get me wrong, I also think the human race - for the time being - relies on industry, polluting activity and all the rest of it. I'm not about to starting sprouting unrealistic ideas like we should just switch everything off overnight. But stories like this make a lot of sense to me, and give me quite a lot of hope.

Find out more about such stuff and how we can make everything all generally a bit better from these charities; Thrive, Street Tree and the more ubiquitous CarbonNeutral Company.

Well. Actually that covers quite a variety of different areas, but all worth a visit. Trust me. I'm not a doctor.

In the meantime. Go on, switch off a light if you're not using it. For me and my happy-horticulture-clappy mood today. :-)

No comments: