Monday, January 29, 2007

"Shenanigans and tomfoolery!"

Question: Can a simple advertising concept translate across continents?

Let's find out kids; Apple have localised their US ads for the UK marketplace.

Here are the US versions – with the funky young chap representing Macs and the nerdy guy for PCs.


Now concentrate – here comes the Britishness.


Yes! It’s UK television's very own Mitchell and Webb!

The UK versions are good. Especially the one with the pie chart. But I am perfectly happy to admit that I'm completely evangelical about Macs, so they are bound to appeal. I shall not apologise.

It’s all very good. Even though they are essentially playing the types of characters they always seem to play. I wonder what the French version would-slash-will look like (sigh).

Coming soon – the iPhone played by... Gael Garcia Bernal; small, clever and pretty to look at.

3 comments:

rhino75 said...

gotta get me an iGael!!

Gareth said...

Their funky young chap is much funkier and younger than ours, so the America version makes the point better I feel.

LaLa said...

Just goes to show how Americanised (if there is such a word) Australia is becoming. We have the American ads.

I find them quite funny though.