Monday, March 26, 2007

Just beyond the edge

While waiting for a friend on the South Bank this evening*, I spent a languid fifteen minutes watching the sun set over Hungerford Bridge. It occurred to me in my reverie that we are at a fantastic time of year. Today was bright and refreshingly warm. The sky was clear and it was sunny enough to feel like Spring - especially with the clocks going forward at the weekend.

But! And here's the rub, people have not yet started spoiling it all by doing summer-specific things. I have not seen a single person with their legs out. There are no 'outdoor events' in specially erected tents. No ice-cream vans. No strappy tops. No barefoot in the park. Yet.

I like all that, don't get me wrong, but this feels lovely. It's like we've all been caught unawares by an unexpected treat. We're wandering around in a slight daze, happy but gently confused. Rubbing our eyes in the sudden illumination. Wonderful.








* and let us be brutally honest about this; perving politely over the pretty people, slightly. I said slightly.

4 comments:

LaLa said...

It's starting to get cold here.

In a way I kind of like it, but I never seem to have the right clothes. Boots and stuff.

*sigh*

I need new boots

Boz said...

I need some boots! Lets go boots shopping! But being several thousand miles away, someone says shopping in Oz to me and I think... Fountain Lakes??

LaLa said...

Hahaha.

Fountain Lakes actually exists you know, down in Victoria somewhere.

I have a shopping centre near here called Eastgardens, I would love to take you there!

Oooh. why did God have to send your flatmate to Australia instead of yooooou?

LaLa said...

Hahaha.

Fountain Lakes actually exists you know, down in Victoria somewhere.

I have a shopping centre near here called Eastgardens, I would love to take you there!

Oooh. why did God have to send your flatmate to Australia instead of yooooou?