Saturday, December 22, 2007

Further Advents: 22 December (sticky fingers)

Behind today's window, portal, blog post thing is a tribute to the thing that I have used a LOT of today. Yes. Transparent, cellulose-based, pressure-sensitive adhesive tape:


Sellotape!

And who knew it woud have such a flashy site.

From which I learn..
"The name 'Sellotape' has been synonymous with adhesive tape for generations. The product even has its own entry in the Oxford English Dictionary. As a brand leader in the UK, Sellotape won Superbrands' Most Trustworthy Brand Award in 2003, beating the likes of Rolls Royce!"

Faskianating. Furthermore, Wikipedia tells me that it was first made in Acton. Which is probably the best thing ever to have come out of Acton.

(Note for those from overseas and other extra-terrestrial visitors. Acton is, well, how can I put this, a hole. Which probably means it's about ten years away from becoming the next hip place to live... no, sorry, I can't even type that with a straight face. I'm sure parts of it are lovely and many of its residents love living there. But basically it's the arse end of the District Line. Ithankyou.)

The website also has a remarkable amount of detail on how Sellotape is made. I'm not sure why you would need to know this, but I find it strangely reassuring that it's there.

My Gran pronounces it 'seal-o-tape'. Because she thinks the Queen would say it like that. Right. Like the Queen gets down on the floor with a 5m roll of sparkly paper from Woolies and the kitchen scissors, does she? To wrap Philips new pair of slippers and book tokens for the grandkids? Unlikely.

In short - Sellotape, we salute you! You are the un recognised Hero of Christmas! And also other celebration times! Including Birthdays!

Rip on, Angela!

No comments: