Friday, February 29, 2008

BEHOLD! The glorious 29th.

Ancient Person the One: "So! That's that cracked then. Can I go and play in the river now?"

Ancient Person the Two: (looking at complex workings out in front of them) "Hmmmm."

Ancient Person the One: "What. What? What is it? What?"

Ancient Person the Two: "I don't think this is going to work, you know."

Ancient Person the One: "What?! Why not. We've spent aaaaages on this and it's peeeeerfect."

Ancient Person the Two: "I don't know."

Ancient Person the One: "And it's sunny outside, look. Why?"

Ancient Person the Two: "Look. According to our original calculations we should be at this day by now, but we're already at this one. This has happened for the last ten weather cycles now."

Ancient Person the One: "Oh. Bugger. Are you sure?"

Ancient Person the Two: "Yes. Stop fiddling with your robes."

Ancient Person the One: "Sorry."

Ancient Person the Two: "That's okay."

Ancient Person the One: "What are we going to do then?"

Ancient Person the Two: "I'm... not sure."

Ancient Person the One: "Did I mention how sunny it is outside?"

Ancient Person the Two: "There, my man, is the problem."

Ancient Person the One: "Can we... can we not... just stick an extra day in somewhere? Say, every couple of years. Just to even things out a bit in the long run. Um. Sort of thing. Rather than work it all out again. Because that took *ages*. Do you remember? You had those robes that were all itchy."

(Pause. The universe takes a beat.)

Ancient Person the Two: (sagging) "Oh. Alright then. It's true, isn't it, these robes are very itchy! I thought it was just mine."

Ancient Person the One: "Yes they are! Let's go and play in the river. While it's still sunny. Whee!"

Ancient Person the Two: "Did you just say 'Whee'? have some dignity man. This extra day is a serious occasion."

Ancient Person the One: "Sorry, Gerald."

4 comments:

julaberry said...

Please tell me that you wrote this, because I think it may be my favourite post of the year.

Boz said...

I'm afraid I did. But then as we are in the weird gap between normal space and time... who can tell?

Oli said...

I like this a lot. Could I suggest it flows better if we lose "That's okay" and combine preceding and following lines? Otherwise, made of win.

Boz said...

OOooooooo. Online editing services - we like! Cheers Oli; I think you are right.

This was a good distraction from proper work (as in work I get paid for) on a Friday morning. Fun though.