Monday, April 28, 2008

Geek-a-rama

This week, I was pushed out of the office unwillingly* to go to a conference on employer brand engagement. It was v interesting (I am ignoring the voice inside me that wonders how I ever got interested in this. Aren't I supposed to be saving the kids and the rainforest? Or leading a crack UNIT team? Isn't that what was supposed to happen?). I suppose I like the fact that ultimately it all comes down to people and human psychology, and manners, which are pretty straightforward really.

But in terms of the experience itself, all I need tell you was that in was in a generic hotel with coffee that leaves that dry taste in your mouth and you'll get what I mean.

Except...

One of the speakers was the head of internal comms at Google.

*NERD CRUSH!!*

Ooooo the shiny things at Google. Wheee!

Ahem.

Anyway. Hooray for conferences sometimes is our message here. Although it does tend to turn into a game of swap-the-business-card**.

Mine is sort of a blue and white affair. It's quite nicely designed and everything, but a bit stark. Partly because I'm also cited as a 'consultant', which makes me cringe a little. One of my mates had a business card with a smooth card that another of our friends liked to rub over his face with his eyes closed tightly shut. This is the inevitable picture in my head whenever I look at someone's business card.

Oh dear.


* Srsly. I have a lot to do. I have next week of, mkay? Am off to France and Spain. VROOM.
** You made to register to view this link. But I have to say the FT site

No comments: