Tuesday, June 17, 2008

And not a single mash-up, either

I have been memed by Oli! I'm terrible excited. I work so much better to a brief and it is nice to have some blog love. Plus I have two really big (honest) posts coming up, so it's nice to have something a bit less daunting to work on on this vaguely sunny morning.

The task is thus:

"List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your seven songs."*

RIGHT! (scuttles off to examine his iPod) HERE WE GO.

Queens of the Stone Age - The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret
I bumbled across this on the internet, and it sounded pretty cool so... okay. I give up. I hereby confess I downloaded this from iTunes because I heard it on Doctor Who Confidential, okay? I may lose all cool but dammit it's catchy. With some crunchy geee-tar riffs and nifty lyrics. Aww-right.

The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name
Because it's a brilliant piece of rocky punk-pop and insanely catchy. And because I cannot stop listening to it until I work out what the bloke is singing over the last two verses. I MUST KNOW. I have a bit of a 'thing' about lyrics. Can't remember the names of some of my good friends, their recent social history or any useful information like where I left my passport, but can recite all the lyrics to Birdhouse In Your Soul and Supercalifragilisticexpealliocious (yes even the bit when she says it backwards because she cheats and merely reverses the order of syllables and changes 'Super' to 'Rupes'. I know these things.).

Planet Perfecto featuring Grace - Not Over Yet
This is probably thekind of thing that is featured a lot on adverts for triple-disc 90s dance anthhologies you can't buy in the shops.
Don't care. Am waving my hands in the air, alas sans glow sticks. Wicked to do the washing up to, I have found. How my life has changed in my late twenties.

Vitamin String Quartet - Mister Brightside
In fact, actually, and how, almost anything by this excellent covers outfit. I just really dig string versions of pop chooons (blame that bit in Batman Returns where Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle get down to an orchestra's take on MC Hammer. Wicked!). See also their versions of Smells Like Teen Spirit, Crazy in Love, Cool (Gwen Stefani) and LSF. Top drawer!

Nancy SInatra and Lee Hazlewood - Summer Wine.
Because it's pure sex! And summery! First put on a compilation tape made by bezzy mate Donna many moons ago, it's still a top player, and I've just downloaded for my iPod so am bopping along to it a LOT. S'a bit dirty. Hur hur hur. Plus strawberries, cherries and an angel's kiss in spring should BE an actual drink.

Cut Copy - Feel The Love
I have only just got my grubby mitts on this album, so I have not given all the tracks a good listen - but this lovely opener is a bit Bent-ish and very catchy. Could well be The Sound Of The Summer, if kept away from Radio 1. We likey.

Simian Mobile Disco - Sleep Deprivation
I hope I never tire of this song. It's definitely a 'get up and dance like a loon' number. In my head I have directed a fabulous video to this, with people in 17th century flamboyant costume doing breakdancing in a ballroom. Yes - Sophie Muller's career is quite safe. Anyway. I highly recommend this for getting up and jumping about.

And gosh I'm all done.

See this is interesting, because I look at that list and I would not say it is indicative of my (hopefully) broad church** of musical taste. But rocking out to them I am (Yoda??).

So! On to the joyful task of tagging other people. Well, it's quite difficult to find any of you buggers who haven't already done this. But I'm setting the task for:

Annie (even though she has just done a meme about five)
Julaberry (even though I think she has done it before)
La Bête
Geoff (because it'll be really interesting)
AceDiscoVery (because music is important there)
Cheeser (even though he's just done one about albums)
and
Hedgie.

Go to it, kids.


* Observant bloggers will notice I have altered the final sentence; changing '7' to 'seven'. This is because I am an anal twit, and it has been drummed into me by several CEOs that any number under 11 gets spelled out in full.
** Even Charlotte if I'm in the right frame of mind.***
*** Frame Of Mind is not a gay club. It probably should be though.

13 comments:

Oli said...

Well played. Some very serious tuneage, and a Batman Returns reference. Nice.

Boz said...

Why thank you. I was also quite pleased to have a Mary Poppins line in there. I'm easily pleased.

patroclus said...

Ooh, must investigate the QOTSA and Simian Mobile Disco tracks immediately...or at least when I get back on broadband.

I hope there isn't a 'no mashups' rule to this meme, otherwise I am scuppered.

And finally: >>a fabulous video...with people in 17th century flamboyant costume doing breakdancing in a ballroom.<<

That sounds brilliant. Remember the video to 'Money' by Jamelia? That had something of the sort, too. 18th-century outfits, though. But still ace.

Boz said...

It does rather sound a bit like the Jamelia video. Also that Jamiroquai one which was virtually the same. Still. In my head it's totally different and original and things.

I am thinking of you in your dark times of limited internet, Patroclus. have you discovered all sorts of traditional craft-based pastimes, like knitting bread and tie-dying pets?

Michael said...

I'd never heard of Cut Copy, but I did like that. Very jolly.

Hedgie said...

Very interesting playlist, must check them out!

Oops - would definitely like to keep my selection in the closet . . .

Boz said...

Hedgie - does this mean you are backing down form the challenge of the Meme...? I can't believe they are that bad...

Hedgie said...

:-(

Geoff said...

Fine choices, Boz. I will do my list once I'm settled back into the hurly burly.

Boz said...

"I like the hurly burly. Especially Burly."

Victoria Wood. Somethime in the 90s.

Adrian said...

Crikey. I was meme-d. Who knew?

I'll do it, momentarily...

Adrian said...

I did it. It only took me a month...

Boz said...

Adrian: You definitely get bonus points for the mix tape thing too - that's very shiny.