Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Train, wash away my sorrow, take away my pain..



Coventry train station has a Ladies Waiting Room. For Ladies. The temptation to get a bit David Walliams was great.

Is this a hangover from British Rail, or a return to some old-school rail travel etiquette? Will porters, smoking carriages and Celia Johnson all be returning to the rails in the coming months...? Will this affect my ticket price??

I've been doing a lot of traveling for work. Not Paris, Milan or New York. No no no. Coventry.


UPDATE: LIzzie has rightly pointed out in the comments the good uses Ladies Lounge's have. Maybe Coventry should invest in a Boy's Shed too...?

6 comments:

Lizzie Barrett said...

I don't mean to bring the serious, but women are statistically more likely than men to be attacked while waiting for late trains at stations. Hence the women only rule. I think there might be a petition to put women only carriages on trains as well, due to the molestation problem. I know I often feel unsafe travelling by myself late at night.

Boz said...

That is an excellent and very valid point! And matters probably wouldn't be helped by a dragged up prat in his late twenties sitting in the ladies lounge.

I think the fact that it is called a ladies lounge is wonderfully polite.

To be honest, it was quite a surprise to find there was any waiting room at ALL..

Boz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lizzie Barrett said...

We'd probably like the dragged up twat, to be honest. At least he's trying to get in touch with his feminine side and not mine.

Yeah, I thought they were a dying breed and despaired of any Brief Encounter type affair. Now I find that I can have that, but only with another lady. Aw. The railways, encouraging the gay.

Geoff said...

Ladies lounge, gentlemen sit bolt upright.

Boz said...

and scoundrels slouch.