Tuesday, December 09, 2008

"There's fancy bread then.."

Oh no.

A small piece of my childhood (a warm and happy place*) has drawn to a close.

How wonderful to spend your life giving so much delight - and narrative structure - to small people's lives?

I'm not going to get all gushy, because I'm sure other bloggers will do grater justice to the subject than I can, and saying 'they don't make 'em like that any more' makes me sound like a bit of a old fool.**

But it's fair to say, I think, that his genius rests in a time when telly for younger people was peaceful, a bit homespun and lacking in high-tech special effects - and was still totally engrossing.***

So, in tribute, here is a wee bit of my personal favourite, Ivor the Engine:



I expect Lucy Mangan will need to be heavily sedated before she can talk about this.


UPDATE: Tim and Annie are leading the tributes.

* Mostly. Apart from the GIANT ALIEN SPIDERS.
** They don't though. Although obviously In The Night Garden and Space Pirates have their own amazing merits.
*** Although it also fair to say that Tottie: The Story of a Dolls' House freaked the shiz out of me - in a healthy and life-forming way. Does anyone else remember THE ONE WHERE THEY CAUGHT FIRE??

7 comments:

Geoff said...

I was too young for the original b&w Postman Pat and too old for The Clangers and Bagpuss onwards. My era was Noggin The Nog and Pogles Wood which were a bit frightening probably because the tv reception wasn't particularly good.

Geoff said...

"Postman Pat"? What a twat. Me, that is.

Of course I meant Ivor.

julaberry said...

I don't remember that show, but I remember that mans voice. I hate getting old :(

Annie said...

Awwww the little dragons!

Thank you, that's the first time I've seen that since it was first on TV.

*sniff*

Boz said...

Geoff - My first telly when I was a kid was B&W. I think it's why early Doctor Who still has the ability to make me grip the sofa in panic.

Julaberry - YES! The magical voice! You are too right. They should prescribe Bagpuss on the NHS, to calm ADD kids.

Annie - Me too! I used to have an audio cassette which lulled me to sleep at night. I wonder where it is...

Jayne said...

Our first telly was b&w. And rented. And coin powered. You'd put a shilling in and out would come telly until you'd used it up (it changed for one that took 50p when we went decimal). Yes, I am that old.

*shuffles off*

Boz said...

Jayne - are you sure that wasn't a washing machine..? Although when I was a wee small thing the telly and the washing machine were practically interchangeable, and any child who has never sat and watched clothes go round is the poorer for it.

Ooo that sounded a bit Daily Mail, didn't it? Eeek!

I bet Oliver Postgate could have made a damn fine programme about washing machines.