Monday, January 19, 2009

But now I'm back! From outer space! You just clicked through to find me here with this sad look upon my face!

So it turns out that after the hot, wonderful, crowded streets of India, reaclimatising back to London is difficult. This glorious city that I have loved is cold, peoples.

And DARK in the morning.

And feels really empty.

And everyone is wearing coats...

So. I have decided I need to identify some positive things things to help leverage up some cheer. So far, I have the following:

1. Hot showers. This is a bit unfair as showering with cold water becomes very easy when the temperature is 30 degrees and upwards, and you've been a sweaty betty all day. But, ahhh, warm water how I missed thy soft and gently caress..

2. Pavements. Yes. Surprisingly simple, no? But after spending three weeks in a chaotic and exciting land, where cows (damn rightly) have full priority over all the beeping traffic and shop fronts take up most of the pedestrian space, a few concrete paving slabs are turning out to be a joyful novelty.

3. The return of Being Human on the telly box. Although. I'm not good with change and have yet to determine if I'm entirely happy with the cast changes from the pilot (that Andera Riseborough is MARVELLOUS, and will be missed*).

4. The fact that I am now offically older than our favourite Gallifreyan Timelord. I quite like that, somehow. And very excited about The Moff. And I will happily admit I took half an hour out out of 'trekking' in the hills on India to sit in an internet cafe and catch-up on the breaking-as-it-happened-news and subsequent reactions from the blogosphere, after a text message from my erstwhile flatmate. Yes. I know. Loser I am.

5. That nice chap in America starting his new job. Because that genuinely does make the world a better place to be in, I think. So that's good.


But now I need help. These five things are not going to get me through the rest of January, let alone to a point where it's actually light when I wake up in the morning.

So I need you, dear visitor, to help me expand on this.

What other good stuff is happening in the world?? What are you looking forward to in 2009? What light is wavering on your horizon, to offer hope among the muted darkness? Hmmm??

Comments please.

(You will be rewarded for your troubles with pictures of FARAWAY places...so that's nice, isn't it)

UPDATE: Frankly, I have no right to make demands or please for help if I can't avoid typos in posts. Le sigh. I may have hit on an inadvertent and belated NY resolution.

* I can, if pushed, be dangerously prone to luvvie-ness.

21 comments:

Hedgie said...

Happy New Year!

India sounds exciting. Looking forward to the pics.

How about hot chocolate? I can recommend Carluccio's (but remember to stir vigorously before drinking) and Paul's.

Betty said...

You think you've got problems because you're older than the new Timelord. I'm years older than the nice chap who has just been inaurguriated as American President. If I'm older than the next Pope, I will be very sad indeed.

Betty said...

... oh, and welcome back from your extended New Year break. You were away almost as long as Amy bloody Winehouse, weren't you?

GreatSheElephant said...

>What are you looking forward to in 2009? What light is wavering on your horizon, to offer hope among the muted darkness? Hmmm??


Umm

Weeps.

Geoff said...

Betty isn't really 57. Obama's a few months older than me and Betty's a couple of years younger than me. She's blaming an article in The Guardian from last year which said he was 39. I reckon he dyes his hair.

Pavements, eh? You and Adele.

LaLa said...

Welcome back my little friend. How about that you get to live in London - one of the most exciting cities on earth and I am extremely jealous?

Boz said...

Hedgie - I have launched back into a world of chocolate since returning, and the hot, liquidy variety sounds like a damn good idea. I hear Green & Blacks do hot chocolate stuff ow. It must be like crack.

Betty - Age entirely aside, you should BE the next pope. Would Geoff mind? (PS - I'm having Amy's secret love child. We're calling her Fairy Blossom.)

GSE - Shush now. There's always the shopoholic bit to look forward to before death.

Geoff - Me and Adele NOTHING. They are two things NOT MEANT TO BE TOGETHER.

LaLa - well, you know, you could always come back here, hmm?

GreatSheElephant said...

Nah - shopoholism was so last year. This year I'm surviving on the flakes ofdried on grot at the back of the oven

Boz said...

GSE - Mmmm, crunchy! I bet they are full of goodness though. In my oven they would only be full of bits of chicken kiev. Because we're well 1970s.

Julian Meteor said...

Come out on the pull with me?
With MY record as a wingman that would DEFO be something to look fwd to!!!!! lol

Boz said...

Julian - Hello! Having checked out some of the chat-up lines on your site, your role as a mere wing man frankly surprises me...

Julian Meteor said...

I DO get a bit greedy lol
Do NOT expect to take home the HOTTEST one if we attack a pair!!!!!! lmao

Jayne said...

Well there's Battlestar Galactica which started its final run last night but if you don't watch it then that's not going to help.

Um.

Green and Black do do hot chocolate and it is like crack. But with more calories.

Er.

My fixed rate mortgage runs out end-March so I'm refixing at a much lower rate. Yay.

The credit crunch means there are more black cabs available (yes, I know I'm at the bottom of the barrel here)

Will be back if I can think of anything else.

Boz said...

Jayne - I love Black cabs. I feel special every time I use one, which is rarely. Let's organise a party in a cab. You, me, a bottle of tequila, some DVDs...

Julian - I may have this wrong, but I think we're in the market for slightly different people. However, we could try splitting up a couple. Except that is a bit cruel and mean.

Julian Meteor said...

Ohhhhhh!!!! lol
Do you know Zeroes in Plymouth?
You would LOVE it there!!!!! lmao
Splitting up couples!!!! Now THAT is a good idea.

I THINK you and I could develop into bezzies!!!!! rofl

Jayne said...

LOL. Deal!

james henry said...

That Monsters vs Aliens film looks quite good: http://www.apple.com/trailers/dreamworks/monstersvsaliens/medium_tt.html

Elex said...

I'm looking forward to men wearing these: http://www.condenast.co.uk/imagelib/240x360/Shows/AW2009/Milan/Mens/Dolce_and_Gabbana/Details/00480big_240x360.jpg and everyone laughing uproariously at them.

Jayne said...

Oh, oh, just thought of something! Go and watch The Guild. Charming. And each episode's only about 5 mins long so you don't need to contract glandular fever to get through them...

Boz said...

Jayne - You are MARVELLOUS! I am investigating pronto. Although I'm up for the cab party any time you care to mention.

Elex - Ahhhh the quillted trouer pant... er, warm?

James - Oooo yes! I do hope they haven't put all the chuckle-worthy bits in the trailer. It does look fun though. And just about right for my youngest nephew (HMMMM. Plots.)

Jayne said...

http://www.watchtheguild.com/

Enjoy!