Monday, June 01, 2009

Can't think of a title. Meh.

Oooh look, I've not been on here much lately, have I.

[Beats the walls to test sound and strength, looks under posts for build-up of dust, kicks bit of skirting that has always been loose].

I would blame Twitter, only really I just haven't had much interesting to say.

BUT. The legendary, much anticipated, whispered of in hushed tones by the photocopier Office Relocation has finally happened.

I am typing this from a W1 post code, under the stern, 1960's futurist glance of the BT Tower. Or Post Office Tower is you're being all retro. I've always wanted to see if there is anything left of the revolving restaurant at the top. I suppose I never will now.*

Thanks to the God of All Finance, the move itself has been surprisingly easy and stress free. But I don't think he could control our excited running around being excited this lunchtime..

Anyway. Until I find interesting things to witter about that other people haven't done a better job on, adieu.

* I'm not dying. Just quite lazy.

8 comments:

Michael said...

It'll always be the Post Office Tower to me. There was a programme on BBC4 a few months back in which Tony Benn visited the restaurant, which is, of course, no longer a restaurant, but can still rotate. Maybe, if you run around excitedly being excited enough, your new office will do the same.

Other interesting trivia includes the fact that, until the mid-1990s, the Tower was officially a secret, and did not appear on official maps.

http://tinyurl.com/llos86

Also, it is literally impossible for me to think about the Tower without seeing this piece of wonderful 60s pop art from the Radio Times:

http://tinyurl.com/n4gcqr

Glad you’re not dying!

Michael said...

Oh, I meant to show you this as well. Look at the beautiful matchbook at the bottom of the page:

http://tinyurl.com/nsovr7

patroclus said...

Congrats on the office move! And yes, I can confirm that the top of the tower does still revolve, and they have super high-speed lifts to take you up there. And you get a certificate, with calligraphy and everything. But it wasn't a restaurant when I went there - just an open space.

GreatSheElephant said...

What P didn't mention is that it can be hired for press launches and similar beanos.

Jayne said...

I went there when it was a restaurant (my uncle worked for BT). I was about 14 and it was all very exciting. The only other revolving restaurant I've been in was in Atlanta - it made me feel sick. OK, the many, many cocktails may have contributed a tiny bit too.

Boz said...

MIchael - Awesome links! You have a lot of BT Tower related trivia at your fingertips.. I like the photos of the restaurant. You don;t often see blue tableclothes with red trim now..

Patroclus - I am v jealous!

GSE - Right. I need a large budget, some guests and a reason...

Michael said...

Well, I do like to dig these things out, but I really can't claim any special prowess...

http://tinyurl.com/m4qx4k

But the photos are good, aren't they? I love how they all scream "man-made fibres" - especially the Reception Lounge! (Groovy clock, though).

Old Cheeser said...

How exciting to be working in the shadow of the famed Post Office, or should I say BT tower! But much more exciting to be inside, I bet. I remember all the hoo-ha about the revolving restaurant...talking of which, did you ever see the episode of "The Goodies" set inside the self-same restaurant where the rotations sped up to ridiculous proportions and everyone's food and plates etc went flying? Ha ha ha!!

Erm, yes. Well I was about 7 or 8 years old at the time...