Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Things I Have Learnt About Being Thirty

1. No one gives up their seat for you on the bus. Yet. "Tsk".

2. That burgeoning spare tyre around the waist gets harder to shift, but I have come to accept that I will never be one of those people who can go to the gym three times a week.

3. The balance between risking offending people and making sure your friends are okay shifts towards the latter in the previous decade.

4. I'm never going look like I did when I was twenty (Thank God).

5. Life does seem to in a vague, ambling curve of generally getting better.

6. Therefore I am very lucky.

7. I still have the capacity to cock things up quite stupendously.

8. The next ten years feel potentially as open as field.

9. It is still acceptable to laugh at jokes about pooh and dance around your bedroom to music.

10. Blimey, I do witter on sometimes.

11. People buy you lots of skin care products for your thirtieth birthday (this is a good thing).

12. The things that were important to me at 18 are still the things that tend to matter most. I wish I had known this at 18.

13. Heaven is still a deep blue sky.

14. It seems I have been reading liberal lefty publications for quite some time...


(Cheers Mum)

UPDATE: Also, I am still totally incapable of buying trousers that are the correct length.

4 comments:

Billy said...

As I turn 30 a week on Saturday, I shall bear your wise words in mind.

james henry said...

Awwwwwww, mini-Boz!

Michael said...

That sounds like just the right mix to me: ACTIVATE!

P.S. I love old photos with rounded edges. Like a visual metaphor for memories themselves, you could say. And maybe I will.

Boz said...

And if nothing else, a South Park-inspired profile picture seems woefully out of date.