Tuesday, December 01, 2009

On the first day of Christmas...

...my true parents gave to me, a big pile of crap belonging to me!

I'm not kidding. My dad took me to visit my Gran this weekend. Mother phoned me a few days before hand to ask if it was alright if he dropped off one or two books of mine that were still at my parents place.

Of course not, I said.

Foolish, foolish error.

Turns out that "a few books" equates to six boxes, seven bags and my parents rubbing their hands with glee. I am literally surrounded by tat and toot. My bed is marooned in a sea of cardboard.

I have NO idea where I'm going to put this stuff. Books, children's books, old toys, school uniforms, exercise books, a disco ball, LPs... it goes on. Oxfam and Save The Children on Clapham High Street are going to get a sizeable chunk, I reckon. It's time to say goodbye to a few things.

The posters are worth a special mention. Some awesome Tim Hunkin ones I wouldn't mind seeing framed, but a whole LOT of 90's music posters. Mostly free ones that came with Select. Ash, Sleeper, Boo Radleys, Oasis... am I too old to put

Don't blame the parents though. They live in a tiny wee place, and my stuff cluttering up their space is most unfair. It's going to be interesting sorting out the stuff here where I live, rather than under their roof. Some tough decisions will be made.

And now to Freecycle, to try and find some shelves...

**UPDATE**

I'm two boxes in and already have genuine fear. Turns out keeping everything I've ever been given and everything anyone ever sent me may not have been such a tip-top idea. People, I'm a hoarder...

**SECOND UPDATE**

I thought I'd unpack all the books, to see if I can group them together and just sort of see where I am. Unfortunately it turns out there where I am is surrounded by piles of books and having a small nervous breakdown.

4 comments:

GreatSheElephant said...

Well as long as there's no dead cat underneath it all.

Can you ebay some of it and make some £££?

Boz said...

GSE - I own every cinema ticket I've ever had since I was 14. I'm now 30. That's not.. normal... is it? Either way - I don't think anyone is going to pay any money for them. :-(

LaLa said...

I know this feeling so well. I used to keep every copy of Q, Select, The Face and Sky magazine that I bought... Can you believe I used to buy most of them EVERY month in a wee town in Australia, and they were imported from the UK? It cost me a small fortune so naturally I assumed they would be worth something someday. After lugging a massive suitcase of magazines for a couple of years (surprisingly heavy) I finally gave up and turfed the lot. Have barely spared them a thought since.

I do hoard a lot of other things though, I really like those clear placcy boxes that fit under the bed. You can fit heaps of crap in them (like my old London Tube pass and 2001 edition of the A-Z)

blackwatertown said...

There must be the makings of a CGI-packed disaster movie in this. "In a world where..." er, I dunno... tsunamis of books engulf every living thing... Only one man with a flimsy cardboard box and fading resolve stands between life as we know it and total annihilation...

That sort of thing.