Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"Now apply the ointment twice daily, and if the swelling persists after a week, come back and see me again."

I've been tagged by the Patrician known as GreatSheElephant!*

I love this. It's old-skool blogging practice. You can't really tag someone on Twitter.

The gist of the jolly wheeze here is to identify a character in a novel you most resemble.

Hmmmm. Toughie.

I can think of some charcters I'd like to be associated with.. but one that I think is like me?? Heavens.

It's a bit worrying that I've been thinking about this for a week and got no further. Novels are supposed to speak to one, aren't they?

Right.

First choice: The male protagonist in Sarah Waters' The Little Stranger. Partly because of the era, and because I think if I was born a hundred years ago or whatever, I would have been that second-son type, shuffled off into the clergy or medicine. If I were not a modern day urban twit, a rural GP's life for me.

Second choice: Mr Topsy-Turvy, c/o Roger Hargreaves and my youngest nephew.

I'm going to keep thinking about this one..

* Incidentally, one of my favourite Patrician moments in the Discworld books is the delightful revelation that he does not listen to musicians, but prefers to read the neat order of sheet music. Sublime. ***mentally sets aside time to re-read Discworld novels***

1 comment:

GreatSheElephant said...

That is exactly my favourite Patrician moment too, although it rather spoils the comparison for me because try as I have, I really can't read music.