Tuesday, July 05, 2011

...it's me again, Hive Mind...

Apparently I need a holiday or a rest or something.* Once again I've gone over half the year without really taking a significant chunk of time off. Apart from a few days to move, which of course was very relaxing.**

So. I'm taking some time off and going somewhere. On my jack jones. Just me.

Apparently, this makes me a freak.

Holiday?

By yourself?

Without anyone else?

Yes, friend. You see I was raised by a pair of kick-ass and groovy parents, and if there is one thing I can do, it is be by myself. I can literally do it for hours. On my own. No hands.

I've been kicking around the internet (because I can do that now) and looking for places to go and hang out. A phrase has cropped up a number of times:

Single person supplement!

I'm sorry? Come again? Same room, yes. Eating less food, probably. And you're charging me more? Huh.

Obviously traveling by yourself is not a new thing, but as the evidence suggests, there's more than a whiff of suspicion about the single traveller. It appears vaguely acceptable to go it alone in another country, but.. here..?

Yes. Here. I've just moved flat. My bank account is emptyier than Jane Marple's swear box. I want a holiday. I'm not marauding around the British countryside snatching children off the streets.*** Bugger off with your "Naww, poor you. No friends?" I demand luxury and rest and time reading books and working out what I'm supposed to be doing with my life. I have plenty of great mates. I don't want to see them ALL the time.

I feel a bit penalised because I'm not in a couple. All the cool places have a slight air of smug romantic getaway to them. I just want a decent place to sleep and relax and sit about. Maybe walk about a bit in the country or by the sea. ~hefts weight around a bit on bar stool~

And oh I have found cool places if you are entwined with another human-slash-humans. Staying in a disused railway carriage, Sir? Perhaps Madamoiselle would prefer a glamorous eco-pod dropped onto the Cornish countryside? Or a yurt for you and yours..? No..? A 1940s former Showman's van, perhaps?

Well if you're single you CAN'T. Nossir. Families and couples only, ifyouplease. Certainly if you want to be able to afford them and not face daily confrontations with your social status as Persona Non Nupta by waking up next to a string of unusued beds. Outcast. Pariah. Etc. Etc. ~Falls off bar stool~

So. I need somewhere cheap-ish to go in the UK where I can hang around and do not much for a bit? Any ideas, anyone...?


* Unpicks fingernails from desk.
** Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ~sits on unpacked Boz box~ ~rocks~
*** Can't make any such promises about awesome kittehs, obviously.

6 comments:

LaLa said...

What about B&B's - especially mid week they might be quite happy to have someone stay.

We got an excellent deal on a hotel in Liverpool last year, a Novotel for 47 pounds per night through LateRooms or LastMinute - I'm not suggesting there but perhaps you can pick up cheap deals that way?

LaLa said...

Me again.. what about houseboats? OR... do you know any friends/friends-of-friends in another part of the country that are going to be away at the same time - could you housesit for them? You could have housesat for us a couple of weeks ago - built in kitteh! Transport here might have been a bit costly though..

GreatSheElephant said...

Come and stay with me for a couple of days?

Boz said...

This is the kind of excellent direct intervention the internet is getting a lot of good press about, lately...

Old Cheeser said...

I think La-La has made some good suggestions there! (I'm actually going to Cornwall myself this Summer seeing as you mentioned it...and looking forward to it immensely...) Could I also suggest a tent/camping (no problems with singledom there...) Although you may not like the grubby/lack of glamour aspect...?

Michele R. Strub said...

the thing I enjoy about traveling alone: having no worries about someone else's good time